Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Visit to the Pediatrician

So lately I have been more concerned about Riley. She was exhibiting some of the same reflux symptoms as Addison however, they were not as intense so I wasn't ready to rush down to the pediatrician just yet. Riley has gone through patterns of fussy times that start with a loud choking sound followed by a bunch of coughs and then her eyes would water and I could tell acid was coming up. After a few nights in a row, we decided to take her to the pediatrician on Friday afternoon. It looks as though she does have reflux, just not as a bad as her sister does. We are going to start her off on Zantac and go from there. Hopefully she will start to feel better soon and we won't have to use Prevacid in addition to the Zantac.

Riley got weighed and she is 10 pounds 8.5 ounces. We are so thrilled with her weight gain and she is now about 3 times her birth weight. She is a growing girl and catching up with her sister. Addison was also weighed to see if we needed to increase her Zantac dose and she weighed in at 10 pounds 14 ounces. Both girls were put on 1.5ml of Zantac. We were hoping Riley would be a good medicine taker like her sister but Riley is none to thrilled with the taste of the Zantac. We hope over time she will get used to it and be a pro like her sister.

Both girls have been getting better at breast feeding. I'm a little sore from our trials and tribulations but we are sticking to it in hopes of getting more time at the breast and less time with the pump. I hope to spend majority of our trip to Spokane with the girls feeding at the breast rather than the bottle and we will have all night and day to try.

On another happy note, the girls have become perfect little sleepers. Last night was another testimate to their ability to sleep though the night together. I put them down to bed at 7pm and Addison woke up for to feed at 4:30 and Riley was right after her at 5am and then they both went back to sleep until 8am. This kind of schedule is perfect for mommy and I feel so rested on the weekends. I'm so proud of my girls and they wake up so happy and smiley after a good long night of sleep. We had fun playing and cooing and talking this morning while we let daddy sleep in.

Addison went with me and we did some shopping at Kohl's and got some picture frames for their new pictures and a suitcase for the girls to travel with. I picked up some cute outfits with pants so the girls have something different to wear in the cooler weather up in Spokane. I plan on spending the rest of the weekend planning and packing for our trip.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm sorry Riley is having to deal with the reflux issues like Addison. It looks like you caught it early enough though and she'll start feeling better, soon!

    Congrats on the girls continuing to sleep thru the night! Awesome news! Good job, girls!!!

    Things seem to keep getting better and better. I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got Riley on Zantac - hope she starts improving quickly! We give Micah his Zantac either through the little medicine pacifier mixed with milk, or we use one of those small 2 oz tubes with the preemie nipple we got in the hospital, mix it with some milk, and he just downs it. I generally don't mix it with his entire bottle or too much, just in case he doesn't finish it all. - Tkeys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww poor Riley! HUGE congrats for both girls sleeping better!!! I'm sure that's a big help for mommy! Good Luck packing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, that's awesome news about them sleeping and breast feeding more! Yay!! I am glad you figured out what was going on with Riley too and hopefully she will be feeling better. Good luck on your trip. I am looking forward to hearing how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news on the sleeping! I'll admit I am very jealous. ha. But you give me hope - I read your blog, knowing that this will probably/hopefully be me in a month or two since we're dealing with so many of the same preemie twin issues! :)

    ReplyDelete