Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 14, 2009

5 Pound Milestone


My big girl Addison is finally above 5 pounds. She has been consistently gaining weight everyday and as of today, she weighs 5 pounds 1.3 ounces. With the amount she has been pooping out, I am surprised she is gaining so much weight, but I guess it isn't all running through her. LOL Riley is gaining steadily also. She is 4 pounds 9.4 ounces. She takes a few less ml per feeding as her sister so her weight gain is slower but still very good for her smaller size.

They are both still working on their feedings. Some feedings they nipple half or most of their bottle, and other times they don't even want to try and eat. It really depends on how awake they are. Preemies have to work so hard to eat and learn the suck, swallow, and breathe sequence. I am proud of the progress they have made and they will figure this all out in due time. I am thankful for the time in the NICU even though it isn't an ideal situation. I have been able to learn how to care for them, change them, bathe them, feed them, burp them, and find what positions they like best before I even bring them home. I was scared to me a mom and take care of two babies, but I feel confident in my abilities after the extra help from the nurses.

Today great grandma Jean and Fabulous Aunt Shannon came to visit the girls. It is some much easier to have visitors now that the girls are in the continuing care nursery and they are in open cribs. Visitors can touch and hold the babies and I have the freedom to do all their care instead of relying on a nurse to open their pods for visitors. I am very blessed to have so much family here to help and love the girls. Tomorrow Aunt Joan is coming to see the babies and take some video of them. She plans to take several videos over time and give them to the girls when they are older. I want to say thank you to all my family and friends that have been here for me during my tough pregnancy and now this road through the NICU. I love you all!

5 comments:

  1. Those girls are making such good strides! What an advantage to knowing all the tricks before they come home. It will make it that much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to gain, Addison!! :) And Riley, too-- they are both doing fantastic! I am sure they will be home before you know it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're doing so well! You'll have them home before you know it. And you are going to be a great mother. 2 babies years apart can be hair raising, but you'll have this down pat and get it all figured out in one lick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is wonderful news! Addison is now bigger than Micah when he left the hospital . . . she is just getting so big and strong! - Tess

    ReplyDelete