Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, May 22, 2009

A Good Day





























I really had a good day with my girls today. I got up early to take Jesse to work because his car is in the shop. I spent the entire day with my girls. Addison is doing so well at gaining weight, she is now 5 pounds 10 ounces. I am in shock that she is so close to 6 pounds now. Riley is up to 5 pounds 4 ounces. Now, I am going to get you all excited now because Riley is so close to coming home. She has gone 2 days without her feeding cord. She did struggle a little bit on her 8am and 11am feedings. She was getting tired towards the end, but the nurse and I would give her a break for a few minutes and she would eventually finish her bottle.

On her 2pm feeding, I had lactation come in and help me introduce Riley to the breast today. I learned the proper position for the cross cradle hold and the football hold. Riley was sleeping the whole time which made the positioning really easy, but she really didn't know what was going on. During the cross cradle hold, she did latch onto my breast and sucked a little bit, but I think she was too tired to do anything else. I was so excited to try the breastfeeding experience, and you all are right. It is one of the best feelings in the world. I plan to try again when she is more awake and see how she does. I then went on to feed her with her bottle and she did such a fantastic job. She was able to complete the entire 45ml in less than 15 minutes and she was wide awake after that were she spent time sucking on her paci while starting up at me. I am just so in love!!!

The doctor came in to review the girls charts and felt that Riley should be ready to go home tomorrow. Now the nurse did not think she was quite ready, so they want to give her a little more time to show she can finish her feeds so I am not stressed out at home if I take her home too early. I am bringing in their car seats tomorrow to do the car seat tests and then if Riley proves herself, she may be coming home without her sister. Addison is doing very well with her feeds, she just doesn't get everything down before going back to sleep. I think she will be up to speed here real soon though.

My mom and Aunt Diane are coming up tomorrow to visit and I'm sure they will be surprised at how big the girls are getting. Addison is getting those cute big cheeks, and Riley is filling out all over. I will update more about Riley coming home as soon as the doctors confirm she is ready!!!

I want to say thanks to everyone who commented and emailed me on my "Liquid Gold" post. I appreciate all the help and suggestions as well as the kind words. I'm sure if I can get the girls to latch onto the breast and feed efficiently, my supply will increase and I may be able to keep up with the needs of both girls. I added some recent pictures of Addison and some older pictures of Riley before she got her feeding tube out. I need to take some new ones of her pretty face without the feeding tube. I should be able to post more tomorrow after my visit with them.

3 comments:

  1. This is such wonderful news!! See, 2 days ago, you thought you were weeks away - a lot can change very quickly with these little ones! I'm so glad you got to try breastfeeding. It will take a while for them to get the hang of it, and it can be exhausting early on, so you may need to do a combo of bf'ing and bottle feeding breast milk, but they'll get there! From the time Micah learned to latch at 1 week old until he could exclusively breastfeed was 6 weeks. I'm just so excited for you, and so lad to hear the girls are doing well. - Tess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad the girls are doing well!!! They will both be home before you know it! I know you can't wait for that day!! You should be so proud of yourself for nursing twins!!! Your doing such a great job mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that you will get to take one of your princesses home! Great job breastfeeding. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete