Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Tuesday Hospital Update

Early in the morning I was woken up to be taken to the ultrasound room and have another internal measurement of my cervix. The ultrasound tech had trouble deciding how to measure my cervix. Because of my prior surgery that removed part of my cervix, it is very difficult to get an accurate reading. The tech got both Dr. Spence and Dr. Bowan in the room to see if they could see the proper measurement. They were all getting something close to a 2.0 rather than a 1.5.

They decided to do an internal exam to look at my cervix and feel the texture. My cervix is completely flush with my vagina when it should protrude out and create a knob. With this situation, it will be impossible to place a cerclage. Both doctors felt my cervix and it appears to be very hard and not dilating. This is good news. If the cervix was shrinking it would be softer and could possibly start dilating.

I was sent back to my room but I was still on the IV and couldn't eat or drink. Brea and Jesse came to the hospital to keep me company. They both needed to eat lunch and I had to sit and watch while they got to eat. That was pure torture. LOL . To top everything off, my body was developing a low grade fever that they needed to monitor. I was put on Motrin to help my uterine irritability and help with the fever.

After a while, I started to get sick from not eating and no one had been in my room to update me on the plan. If I wasn't having the surgery, then why couldn't I eat? Finally Brea worked her magic and went out to tell the nurse staff that I wasn't feeling well and I needed to eat ASAP. Soon after that I was finally able to eat. Food never tasted so good.

It took most of the day for me to see Dr. Spence again. She was all over the hospital with surgeries and emergencies. At this point she wanted to talk to another Dr. at Good Samaritan Hospital to see if an abdominal cerclage was an option. This is where they cut into my abdomen to close off the end of my uterus and the top of my cervix. This would be a permanent procedure and I would always require a c-section for any other pregnancy.

We will find out in the morning if I am a candidate for that procedure. Eventually I was able to take a shower and have the IV taken out of my arm. I was looking forward to a good night sleep now that I had a little more freedom to move around in bed.

I hope we get good news tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment