Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Better night, Better Day

Sara had planned on coming home late in the night Monday or early in the morning Tuesday from her trip to LA. The girls were driving home after a day at Disneyland so my step-mom Linda came over to help with the night shift again. Since we have been having so much trouble with Addison sleeping and her reflux I decided to add the 1 teaspoon of rice cereal to her bottle to see if the thicker liquid would alleviate some of the pain and help her sleep longer. I know there is some debate as to whether rice cereal should be used in a baby's bottle when they are so young, but it appears as though the rice cereal helped because Addison slept for 3 hours during the time she was normally fussy, had a bottle at 1:30 am and then didn't have another bottle until after 6am. I left the house at 5:30 so I'm not sure what time Linda fed her the bottle but that was a much better night than we have been having with her. She did get a little cranky from 1:30 to 3:00 but not as bad as before. I don't know if it was the rice cereal or she just decided to sleep better, but either way, I am happy.

I was able to get more sleep therefore I felt more rested at work today. We had more of a normal routine and I wasn't so stressed out by our childcare situation. I'm still missing the girls while I am at work, but as sad as it sounds, I am enjoying the little break I am getting away from the girls. The Adult interaction at work is nice and I have missed some of my co-workers so overall I am having a good time at work and getting back into the swing of things. Since my body is so used to little sleep, It is easier to get out of bed to go to work in the morning. Pre-children, I hated getting out of bed and I counted the days down until Friday knowing I would be able to sleep in on Saturday and Sunday. Now, sleep is not as important but I would love a long 8 stretch to sleep, but my pumping schedule won't allow for that. Or should I say, my bbs won't allow that to happen. I get engorged pretty easily since I have such a great milk supply. I am pumping an extra 8-15 ounces of milk each day that gets to go in the freezer so I should have a good amount frozen when I do decided to wean off the pumping. As it stands now, I would like them to get my milk at least until they are 9 months and maybe I can keep it up until they are a year old. That would be 10 months corrected age and I would be satisfied with that.

All in all, the whole family is adjusting to the changes of mommy and daddy back at work. Jesse has been staying up later at night to help with the 11pm feeding so he has been needing a nap when he comes home but the girls seem to want to nap at the same time so that gives me time to get the housework done and get myself prepared for the next day of work.

I get my new vacation time in September so maybe I can take a day or two off with the girls here and there and we are taking the girls on their first vacation to Wisconsin in December. We have some good things to look forward to.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had a better night and a good day at work. I think you just have to trust your mommy instincts and set the debate aside - if you think the rice cereal is helping, then it is the right thing to do! How often do you get her meds adjusted - we had to get Micah's adjusted every 2 weeks in the beginning because he was gaining 1/2 lb each week. Hopefully, that 5 hour stretch will just get longer and longer! - Tess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad she slept better for you. I haven't had to deal with a reflux baby before but I could definitely tell something was bothering her. I can only imagine what it is like to be a baby with that pain. I can barely tolerate it and I know what it is. It definitely made a world of difference when I stopped drinking water before bed. I was told the liquid mixes with the acid and causes it to come up. The thicker milk with the rice cereal should definitely help and I would definitely keep doing it. I know there's a lot of talk about solids and sleeping longer. It didn't help my boys sleep longer so I don't know but she may have slept better because she wasn't in pain. Either way, more sleep is never a bad thing LOL!

    ReplyDelete