Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, July 3, 2009

Growth Spurt?

Riley Sleeping on Brea's chest


I have been wondering why the girls have been so cranky over the last few days and I have come to the conclusion that they are going through a growth spurt. Sara left on Wednesday afternoon to spend time with her friends in LA for the 4th of July weekend so I have been left to take care of the girls by myself. After one night alone, I called in my mother to help me out. Sara had indicated that the girls were not having very good nights and they were extra hungry and not sleeping as much as they normally do. So on Wednesday night I had full duty by myself and lets just say, I only got about 2.5 hours of broken sleep. The girls were fussy starting at 9pm and this last until 5am. Jesse had to go to work the next day so he was only able to stay up with me until 11pm. The girls took turns being fussy and needing to eat almost every hour instead of their nice 3-4 hour stretches that they normally do. I was very exhausted by about 1am but the terror night continued until finally I was able to get them to sleep from 5am to 7am and then again until 10am. I wasn't able to continue sleeping with them because the developmental specialist was coming to the house at 12 noon to take a look at the girls and explain the Best Fit program.

The girls checked out great because developmentally they are still newborns and aren't doing much besides sleeping, eating, and pooping. The girls are only 2 weeks old adjusted age yet they do some things as though they are somewhere between their adjusted age and their chronological age. Addison is holding her head up very well and is beginning to socially smile. She tracks people with their eyes and looks in your direction if you speak to her. Riley is getting better about holding her head up and she also tracks people with her eyes and looks at you when you speak. The developmental specialist will be out to visit the girls every month until 6 months of age and then they will be on a 2 month schedule. The specialist is also going to go with me to the girls 4 month peds appointment in August to ask questions about the girls development and help me with my questions as sometimes we can forget some of the questions we want answered.

After the rough night Wednesday, my mom came on out Thursday night to help out. She is going to stay at the house for the weekend and help me transition back to work on Monday. The girls were much better last night. They fussed from 11:30 until 1 am and both took a couple of bottles each. After the 12:30 feeding they both slept until 2:30 ate and went back to bed until 5:30 am. I was able to pump and my mom and I fed the girls and they went back to sleep until 9am. I feel much better after getting some solid sleep but my mom is a little tired because she isn't used to the broken sleep.

We had a few visitors today. My friend Adam from work and his wife stopped by and brought some diapers for the girls. We go through about 20 diapers a day so diapers are always appreciated. Adam and his wife have a 1 year old daughter and Naomi is 3 weeks away from delivering their second daughter. Shortly after Adam and Naomi got here, Brea showed up as well. The girls were spoiled and got to spend several hours being held by all the visitors. My mom was able to take a nap and we are getting ready for another night of fun. I am hoping the girls are on the tail end of their growth spurt and they start to get back to their normal sleeping patterns.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry you are going through this! I found with Micah, those growth periods/regressions tended to last 3 days - 1 week tops. I noticed major changes after them, too - he'd get stronger or do something new.

    Good luck going back to work - I'm sure it will be a tough transition. Remember, the firsts week is the toughest, and each day it will get easier! - Tkeys